Hope depends on donations to the food pantry, Care and Share Closet, and other programs to help us meet the needs of our clients.
Please contact the Medical Clinic at 734-481-0111 ext. 108 if you have a possible medical donation. Needed items are listed below.
Please contact Mary Dekker at 734-484-2989 x215 or email@example.com for food/personal care donations.
All collected items can be delivered to the front desk of Hope Center at 518 Harriet St., Ypsilanti on Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 – 5:00.
Below are some guidelines for collections and donations.
Some things to remember:
- Items with a long shelf life and “kid-friendly” foods are always welcome.
- All non-perishable food items are gladly accepted, but in our quest to offer healthier foods, we especially appreciate nonperishable selections made from whole grains and items low in sodium and sugars.
- Specific food suggestions include:
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Hearty soups
- Canned tuna and chicken
- Peanut butter and other nut and seed butters
- Brown rice
- Breakfast cereal
- Spices and spice blends (low sodium)
- We do not need the “industrial” size cans or containers of food, but we can use all other sizes.
- Donations typically drop off between June and September so a food drive during these months is especially helpful.
There are many ways to tailor your drive to your target group when you organize a collection:
- Have a Sunday school class collect just peanut butter and jelly
- Suggest guests at a baby shower bring cans of formula
- Hand out grocery bags with a short list of items to fill the bag with
- Put a box with a list of needed items at the back of your church
Care and Share Closet
The Care and Share Closet provides essential items not available with food stamps. We try to stock the items most commonly requested by clients, including:
- toilet paper
- shampoo and conditioner
- laundry detergent
- dish soap
- household cleaning products (e.g. Comet, PineSol, etc.)
- diapers, especially sizes 4, 5, and 6
- baby food
Wash With Care
Hope Center has free laundry facilities available to families in need. Donations of powdered High-Efficiency (HE) laundry detergent and fabric softener sheets are always welcome.
- Soft-bristle adult and child toothbrushes
- Dental floss
Please contact the Medical Clinic at 734-481-0111 if you have a possible donation. Needed items include:
- In-date and sealed medications (except narcotics and other scheduled medications)
- Blue pads
- Wrist and ankle braces
- Small bandages and gauze
- Small procedures trays
- Tongue depressors
- Glucometers with at least 50 unexpired strips
The Medical Clinic cannot accept:
- Expired or unsealed medications, including those in pharmacy bottles that may never have been used but are not sealed
- Clinic supplies inconsistent with our practice, such as IV tubing, catheters, surgical bandages/abdominal pads
- Glucometers without supplies of at least 50 matching unexpired strips
- Custom-made boots which cannot be properly fit to another patient
- Durable goods such as wheel chairs, toilet risers, C-Pap and Bi-pap machines, pumps, beds
- Soiled items
Some other ways to help:
- Financial contributions are always welcome to help support our operating expenses
- Gift cards ($10 to $25 range) for Gordon Food Service, Target, and Meijer’s help support our programs
- Office supplies
- Up-to-date, gently used computers and office equipment